The Princess Royal Fortress was the first Federal Defence of Australia Fortress and had buildings being constructed between 1853 and 1956
Smith Constructions were engaged by the City of Albany to convert two of the buildings under Heritage Council guidelines for other uses.
The Canteen and Military Institute building were given a fresh revamp maintaining its original splendour as a stone building. It is now an Administration and Retail outlet to supply educational material to visitors on the history of the ANZACs.
The Caretakers Residence retained its heritage exterior and was doubled in size to allow for the new Restaurant Café.
The new Administration and Retail had its internal layout rearranged, a new timber deck to the encompassing verandah and a fit out completed.
The extension of the Caretakers Residence to create the new restaurant was constructed mainly of glass, high profile metal sheeting mixed with contemporary flat sheeting.
The Entry Statements were constructed out of 300mm x 20mm plate steel with a four coat two pack paint finish.